Quick Guide: Managing Your Time with Phone.com Schedules
You don’t want your business phone ringing all times of the day and night, and you certainly don’t want it ringing through to your mobile number on the weekend!
Phone.com Schedules let you manage how calls are handled evenings, weekends—any time really! With schedules, you can specify a set of hours that your phones will ring, and have all calls outside of your business hours go directly to voicemail.
Read how small-business owners use schedules
to manage their time better!
Setting a schedule is a simple two-step process:
- Adding a schedule that defines how calls are handled on various days and at various times.
- Applying this schedule in your call-handling rules. These are the settings that define routing actions for all of your calls.
1. Adding a Schedule
Keep in mind that you might need to add multiple Phone.com schedules to cover your daily or weekly work schedules. The steps below are for a single, basic schedule setup.
- Mouse over Configure and click Add a Schedule.
- Enter a unique name for your schedule. Example: Weekdays.
- Select a schedule type (Daily, Weekday-Weekend or Custom). When selecting Weekday-Weekend or Custom, also select the days that you want to add to the schedule.
- Use the slider bar to set start and end times for your business hours. For example, if you want your business number to ring through to your mobile phone, but you don’t want to receive those calls between 5:30 PM and 8:30 AM, you would set the slider to 8:30 AM on the left, and 5:30 PM on the right—that is, you are setting the time period that your business number should ring through to your mobile phone.
- You can also set exceptions for holidays or specific date ranges, and you can set a custom time zone (one other than your default zone).
- Click Save Changes.
The schedule is added to your account. First step done!
2. Applying Your Schedule
Again, the steps for applying your schedule to call handling rules might differ slightly, depending on your setup. Below, we’ll show how to apply a schedule in your number settings.
- Mouse over Configure and click Manage Numbers.
- Click Edit for the number you want to apply your schedule to.
- For Number Action, click Edit.
- On the Call Handling Rules page, change All Calls to Received During and select your schedule from the drop-down menu on the right.
- Change Select Operation to Forward Call and enter an extension or phone number. In the example discussed above, this would be your mobile extension. Set any other ring settings for the first forward action.
- Then click Add New Rule.
- Change the second Select Operation to Leave Voicemail.
- Click Save Rule Settings.
The schedule is applied to your phone number, and all calls will now be routed based on your schedule settings. Sit back, relax—you just made life a whole lot easier!
That’s all it takes to set a Phone.com schedule. If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us!