Welcome back to our final course of the year! While this is quick and simple, it is also one of the most important. As a small business owner, you aren’t always at your office. If you play many roles, you might split time between your office and the field and need to be reached wherever you are. This is where forwarding your calls to multiple devices and numbers comes into play.
I will assume that you already have call handling rules set up for your Phone.com number. Now, I will show you how to make changes to existing call handling rules. Also, keep in mind that your call handling rules might be in different places depending on your setup. Here are the three locations in our control panel where call handling rules are located:
- Users and Extensions
For this guide, we will assume that your are forwarding your calls directly from your Phone.com number.
1. Let’s begin by going to “Configure” at the top of your page and selecting “Manage Numbers” on the left. On the Phone.com number you want to modify, click the “Edit” box. Finally, on the Edit Number page, click the “Edit” box next to “Number Action.”
2. You are now on your call handling rules page. In the picture below, you can see that I’m forwarding to an outside number and then routing calls to voicemail. We now arrive at a fork in the road where we have two choices on how to proceed.
- The first choice is to forward to an additional number or extension at the same time. The benefit is that both phones will ring at once.
- The second choice is to forward to the first number and then if there is no answer, forward to the second number.
3. For the first scenario, let’s forward to both an outside line and a Communicator or device extension at the same time. To do this, simply click “Add Another Number (1)” below the current number you are forwarding to. This will present another white box (2). In the new box, enter the extension number of your Communicator or click the little phone icon with the plus symbol to select from all of the extensions on your account. When that is complete, press Save Rule Settings (3).
4. For scenario two, we are going to first forward to an outside line and if we do not answer there, we then want our call to ring our second Communicator line. To do this, we first need to delete our second action which currently says “Leave Voicemail.” Press the X box next to “Leave Voicemail.” This will provide the option to “Add Next Action.”
5. Selecting that will open a new dialog box. Change the new box to “Forward Call (1)” and you will notice it’s exactly like the Forward Call above without a number added. For this box, add extension 500 to forward to (2). Next, let’s press “Add Next Action” again to add a third rule and have this one be “Leave Voicemail (3).” Then, press “Save Rule Settings(4).”
That’s it! You now have two methods to forward to multiple devices depending on your unique business setup. Be sure to check out the video below for a walk-through of what we covered. I hope you have a great holiday. See you in the new year!