Welcome back to Phone.com University! For the month of December, we are going to cover several home office setup scenarios to get your business up and running. These scenarios include:
- How to setup your Communicator software to place and receive calls on your computer.
- How to change your outbound caller ID.
- Setting up schedules for your office hours.
- How to forward calls to multiple devices so you can be contacted wherever you are.
Today, we are going to cover how to set up your Communicator soft phone. This is a great program that provides the ability to place and receive calls, send and receive SMS messages, access your address book and voicemails on your Windows or Mac computer.
In order to use this software, you will want to verify that you meet the minimum system requirements at the link below:
1. To begin, you need to make a communicator extension on your account. To do so, go to “Configure” at the top of your page, then select “Add A User/Extension.” On the extension type listing, select Communicator(1), then select the agreement checkbox(2) and press the orange “Add Communicator(3)” button. You will then be guided through the check out process to complete your oder.
2. Once your Communicator order is complete, you then need to get your login information and a link to download Communicator. To access this, select “Configure” at the top of your page and then choose “Manage Users/Extensions.” On the “Manage Extensions” page, click the “Edit” box next to to your newly created Communicator extension.
3. You are now on your extension settings page where you will see a picture of a laptop on the right. Under that picture, select “View Login Info(1)” which will provide you with your username and password to sign into Communicator. You will also want to click the “Download Communicator(2)” link which will take you to a page to download the software.
4. Once you have your Communicator installed, open it and sign in with the username and password that was provided in your extension settings. I would recommend checking the “remember details” button so you only have to enter your password once. After signing in, you will be prompted with the dashboard below.
5. To place a call, simple enter your number in the dialog box(1) and press Call. You can also check any received voicemails or SMS on your extension by clicking the “Messages(2)” tab.
That’s all there is to it! You can now make outbound calls from your Communicator. In order to receive calls, you just need to set up some call forwarding rules that points to your Communicator extension. It’s just like setting up call forwarding to a cell phone, except you list your extension number instead of your cell number. Any questions about this? Feel free to ask! Be sure to check out the video below for a walk-through on what we covered today.
Tune in next Monday where we will cover how to change your outbound Caller ID!