One of the hardest things in business is being able to plan for growth—to accurately gauge the resources you’ll need in the coming months and years.
If you’re thinking about adding an office in another country, how do you know how much space to rent or how many people to hire? Things may or may not take off.
Or imagine taking your small business and franchising it all across your state. How do you duplicate your services, along with the tools and infrastructure to support them?
Scaling the Smart Way
Scalability is such a jargon word. In simple terms, we’re talking about capacity, and the ability to increase capacity to match growth. Your business is doing well, so you add people, and rent additional offices and desks and phone lines.
If your business uses a traditional phone carrier, you’re working on the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN), and as you add new employees, you add phone lines, which often means running new cable and boxes, and buying new desk phones. It can get pricey, especially if you later have to move locations or close down one office and open another—more phone lines and hardware and cables!
The costs associated with maintaining and scaling a business phone platform are not insignificant. And for smaller businesses, that cost can be prohibitive.
Consider, too, reverse scaling—the work and cost involved with closing down offices and getting rid of hardware you no longer need.
Enter Voice Over IP, where your whole phone platform lives, in essence, in the cloud. Apart from your Internet connection, there are no phone lines. You can connect a desk phone to your VoIP phone provider, but you could just as easily use your mobile phone or simple VoIP software installed on your computer to make calls.
The cost is significantly less and VoIP gives you far more flexibility. The real benefit, though, is in your ability to scale your phone network with the growth of your business.
Let’s take a look at what that means.
Benefits of Scaling with VoIP
- Cost effective: With VoIP, you’re typically paying a lower flat rate for virtual phone service, plus the cost of your Internet service. IP desk phones are inexpensive and usually come preconfigured with many features.
- Near instant scalability: Add, remove or reconfigure phone extensions as needed. There is no waiting for phone technicians to run cable or configure account or billing settings.
- Extreme mobility: Your employees are no long tied to their desks. Service extends to their mobile phones, allowing them to communicate wherever they are. This means your team can work out of any of your offices or from home, using their business phone service.
- Low monthly cost: Internet telephony services like Phone.com offer very low rates for local and long distance calling, international calling at local rates, and over 40 business features included in our base rates.
- Flexibility: VoIP services are also typically more customizable than traditional phone service. You can set up each phone line and extension at your business to meet highly specialized call-handling, voicemail, fax and conference-call specifications. And since you control setup, you can change those settings at any time at no extra cost!
Internet-based telephony really does offer you the flexibility to scale your phone service as your business grows. It also lets you adjust in small increments, and do so almost instantly.
If you have a question about features or rates for your business phone service, please let us know. Our Sales and Customer Service teams are ready to answer any questions you have.