Adding a Menu and Setting Forwarding Options
Menus are a great way to direct your callers to the department or person they want to speak to. Adding and activating a menu includes the following three steps: adding a menu greeting, adding the menu itself, and activating the menu.
This article discusses the second step—adding a menu to your account and setting forwarding options.
Adding a Menu
Now that you’ve added a menu greeting, you can add the actual menu to your account and identify the greeting as the message you want callers to hear.
- Mouse over Configure and click Add a Menu.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your menu.
- Select the greeting you added as the outgoing message from the drop-down menu. You can also add a second invalid-entry greeting that callers would hear if they press an invalid key.
- For Allow extension dial, select Yes to allow callers to enter an extension number at anytime to bypass the menu and dial that extension.
- Click Continue.
The menu is created and call handling (forwarding) settings are displayed for each number selection.
Setting Forwarding Options for Your Menu
The process of setting options for each number selection will vary depending on how you want calls to be routed. In the steps below, we will simply forward calls to Sales for  and send calls to voicemail for .
There are many other actions available. They include playing another greeting or hold music, forwarding the call to a queue, connecting to receive a fax, and others.
You can also add a sequence of actions for each number selections. For example, when a caller presses , you could route them to your Sales agent’s extension, allowing the phone to ring for 20 seconds, and then go to the voicemail Inbox for that extension. Number selection  might be to go directly to your company’s main voicemail Inbox immediately.
- For number selection , click Edit.
- On the Call Handling Rules page, change Select Operationto Forward Call.
- Enter an extension number in the text field, select the number of seconds that you want the line to ring, and select whether or not you want to play hold music.
- Click Add Next Action.
- Change Select Operation to Leave Voicemail.
- Enter the voicemail extension number in the text field.
- Click Save Rule Settings.
Once you have added forwarding options for all of the number selections you want to define, click Save Changes to save the menu.
These steps show you how you can build a series of actions for each number selection to manage calls.