Phone.com University- Adding A Queue
Welcome back to another session of Phone.com University! Today we are going to continue our small business set up by showing you how to add a queue to your menu system. In case you missed the past two weeks, we covered how to add a greeting and how to add a menu. We are now going to focus on how to add a queue which is great for those businesses that might have a call center setup where multiple people are available to answer a phone call. Ready? Let’s begin.
1. Start by signing into your account, going to “Configure” at the top of the page, and clicking on “Add a Queue.” This will get you to the “Add Queue” page which has several options to modify as described below.
2. For “Name (1)” go ahead and give your queue a unique nickname for easier identification. Next, if you decide to record an announcement for your queue, you’ll want to select it in the “Announcement (2)” section. You can also modify the maximum hold time that callers remain in your queue via the “Maximum Hold Time (3)” prompt. Once that is established, we can start adding members to the queue system (4).
3. Queue members can either be outside cellphone numbers, or extensions that have an IP phone, ATA adapter, Communicator software, or softphone. For this example, we’ll add 3 cell phone numbers to the queue system (1). You can add your desired numbers by pressing “Add Another Member (2).” Once that is all finalized press “Save Changes (3)” at the bottom of the page.
4. Now that our queue is saved and ready to go, the last step is to simply attach it as a call handling rule in the menu settings that we set up last week. To do this, let’s go to “Configure” at the top of your page, then click on “Manage Menus.” Next, click on the “edit” box next to your menu name and this will direct you to the familiar “Edit Menu” screen. Then click the “No Rules Set | Edit” box on the number prompt you want to go to your queue and you’ll get to the call handling rules page.
5. Go ahead and change field 2A from “Select Operation” to “Goto Queue (1)” and choose the queue that we created on the right. Once that is set, press “Add Next Action” and add a second rule that says “Leave Voicemail (2).” What this will do is, once your maximum hold time for your queue is exceeded, the system will then move on to the second rule in the list. In this case it happens to be to “leave a voicemail.” If you don’t add a second rule, it will just disconnect the call! Once that is all set, press “Save Rule Settings” and we are all set!
Be sure to tune in next Monday where we’ll be wrapping up our small business setup theme for the month of November and show you how to forward your phone.com number to your menu and get everything working!