Tier 3 – Provisioning Engineer
Who we are
Phone.com is a growing venture backed cloud based phone service provider that serves over 30,000 small business customers. Phone.com is headquartered in Newark, NJ and has a large operation and development center in San Diego. We are looking for several software engineers who are ready to help take our award-winning Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) platform to new heights. If you’re passionate about building great products and services that deliver equally great customer experiences, Phone.com is the place for you! You’ll work with a rapidly growing team, & use latest technologies & tools in an atmosphere that challenges you every day but feels like home.
- Reports to: Network Solutions Manager
- Department: Network Solutions/Tier 3
- Status: Full-time exempt
- Location: San Diego, CA or Newark, NJ
- Travel: Limited travel between offices for training. Possible client site visits if needed
- Supervisory duties: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Contribution & Purpose
We’re looking for someone who possesses both a passion for technology and problem solving to take our most advanced customer-facing engineering team to new heights. You’ll work with others who are responsible for addressing and serving the technology needs for both internal and external customers. You will get to research some of our most challenging and complex needs involving PHP development in reference to automating configuration of VoIP endpoints, VoIP network engineering, Linux server side log research, MySQL databases, and more. One of the primary focuses of this role is PHP development for provisioning of VoIP endpoints (i.e. – phones). This entails writing the code that configures the phones we support in a way that makes sense for our service and the many features we offer.
Essential Duties-What you get to do
- Write PHP code that sets all necessary configurations on the phones we support
- Release periodic firmware upgrades as needed while keeping internal and external stakeholders well informed
- Thoroughly test and document results of planned firmware upgrades as well as configuration changes
- Manage assigned tickets in JIRA regarding internal as well as external requests for assistance and create tickets for oneself as needed to track projects being worked upon
- Diagnose, resolve, and document hardware and software network issues in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training and support where required
- Troubleshoot and identify advanced IP / VoIP / SIP / RTP telecommunication issues by analyzing PCAP data, MySQL database info, server-side logs, and output from command-line network troubleshooting utilities
- Configure or help the customer configure a stable VoIP operation on the customer’s network. This includes configuring and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links, while ensuring minimal network downtime
- Research RFCs, technical manuals, and brochures on products in order to recommend changes in telecommunication configurations to improve levels of service and reliability
- Deliver awesome customer service via video, phone, email, chat and occasionally in person for larger deployments
- Support training efforts for tier 1/tier 2 employees, as requested
Key Qualifications-What you bring
- 3+ years experience programming with a scripting language (i.e. – PHP, Python, Perl, etc)
- 3+ years experience with Linux
- 2+ years experience with reading Packet Capture or “PCAPs” (e.g. using Wireshark)
- Minimum 3 years IT Experience in computer Networking
- Knowledge of routing and switching network engineering concepts
- Experience with writing SQL queries and using databases
- Knowledge regarding FreeSWITCH, Asterisk, and/or Session Border Controllers
- Network engineering certifications (e.g. – CCNA, Network+, Security+, etc.)
- The ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve complex VoIP issues
- Experience with a ticketing system (i.e. – JIRA, Zendesk, etc)
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary
- A rare opportunity to learn & work with leading-edge technologies.
- Fun & friendly work environment, where your voice matters and you make a difference!
- 100% paid medical & dental insurance. You don’t pay a dime out of your paycheck!
- Outstanding paid time off and paid holidays.
- Work from home on Fridays! We all do!
- Company-hosted weekly lunch, with free food and snacks other days of the week.
- Free phone service and lots of Phone.com swag!
- Opportunity to grow in a vibrant, venture backed company.
- We care about the personal and professional well-being and growth of each employee.
- Ability to have direct impact on the business and work with executives on key initiatives
- We emphasize AWESOME customer service throughout the organization, internally and externally!
- Staff-focused workplace, where fun and collaboration are emphasized. You’ll love our culture!
To apply for this job, e-mail your resume with salary expectations to email@example.com.