Phone.com University – How to Send and Receive Text Messages
The ability to send and receive text messages (SMS) is included in every Phone.com plan. What does this mean for you? Unlimited texting to any U.S. local number!
Sending a Text Message
Sending a text message is done within any extension on your account.
- Mouse over Configure and select Manage Users & Extensions.
- Select Edit for the extension you want to send a text message from.
- Select Send SMS on the left-side navigation bar.
- Enter the number to text in the To: field.
- Enter your message in the Message: field.
- Select Go to send your text message.
Note: If Send SMS is not showing up on the left-side navigation bar, then you need to set an outbound caller ID on the extension Settings page.
A copy of your text message will be saved in your extension’s Inbox for your records.
Receiving a Text Message
Before you can receive a text message on your Phone.com number, you must first enable SMS forwarding to your desired extension. Text messages can only be received on U.S. local numbers.
- Mouse over Configure and select Manage Numbers.
- Select Edit for the number you want to receive text messages on.
- Select the extension you want to receive text messages on in the SMS Forwarding: drop-down box.
- Select Save Changes.
All text messages will now be delivered to your specified extension inbox. You can reply to text messages directly from your inbox, or use the Send SMS link as shown above.
That’s it for today, see you next Monday for some more Phone.com knowledge!