Innovation Corner – Menus are Your Building Blocks
Welcome to the inaugural installment of Phone.com’s “Innovation Corner.” With the help of Alon Cohen, our CTO and EVP, we will share insider tips, lesser-known features and fun ideas on how to get the most out of your phone system and your Phone.com account. We’re all about flexibility, efficiency, ease of use and, of course, affordability for our customers of all sizes.
Interactive Voice Response Menus or IVR (sometimes referred to as “phone trees,” auto-attendant and phone menus), is a tool that helps automate caller activities and interactions by empowering them to direct the path of the phone call using their voice or the digit buttons. This menu offers a powerful way for businesses to showcase their services and ideals directly to customers and callers. And as we know, the better the experience for the caller or customer, the better the impression and the outcome for the business on the other end.
- A great menu is the first step to creating a professional phone presence.
- One of the great benefits of menus that so many of our customers enjoy is the ability for smaller businesses—even one-person operations—to look, seem and sound bigger than they are with just a few simple and affordable tweaks and tools.
- Many companies that offer menu services to customers do so at a premium price that makes the option prohibitive for smaller businesses seeking budget-friendly options.
“You can look professional even if you are a very small business,” Alon tells us. “We hear from customers that their menus are working really well. They are easy to use and they make a lot of sense. Even if you are a small business and your entire operation is being run from a cell phone, or if you work from home, on the road, in an office or all of the above, menus deserve a second look.”
- You likely know how these menus work…whether they are highly involved, or somewhat less so, callers hear a customized greeting that presents their options such as “Press 1 for Sales, Press 2 Customer Service, Press 3 for Tech Support, Press 4 for a Company Directory…and so on. Some of the options may also cover more static or generic recorded information, such as location, hours of operation, fax numbers, email addresses and more.
- Over and over, we see Phone.com customers — especially in smaller operations — who don’t get as much out of the menu features and options as they should. People tend to underestimate the importance of having a phone system that makes you look like a big organization. An intuitive and efficient phone menu can be a great tool for presenting your business in a more impressive, more organized and more service-oriented way than whatever you are currently doing.
- The easier it is for your customers/callers to do business with you and the better the overall call experience, the better your business is viewed, leading to repeat business, positive reviews and improved visibility.
Extra Innovation Tip: Professional Recordings
- A professional recording is a highly powerful and cost-effective tool to use in concert with your customized phone menu.
- Whether you already have a professional recording resource on hand or if you’d prefer to take advantage of our own directory of recording talent, you can give your business a truly professional voice for a relatively small investment. While businesses of all sizes and types can benefit from a professional recording, it’s important to point out that this is a particularly attractive option for home offices, mobile salespeople and multi-location remote teams looking to even the playing field.
- So, even if you are one person running a business from your smartphone in your home office, you can look, sound and present like a million-dollar business … all while saving big money over the alternatives.
Stay tuned for future visits to our “Innovation Corner,” where we will go more deeply into Phone.com tools and features including Vanity Numbers, Scheduling, Call Recording and so much more. As always, with all of our options and customers, we like to remind you that even if you don’t see what you are looking for, we are agile and flexible enough to create it for you out of what is already being offered – just ask!