Phone.com University – How To Change Your Caller ID Number/Name
As a business, being able to call clients while having your business number/name appear in the Caller ID is both professional and expected these days. Today, in this Phone.com University course we are going to show you how to change both.
There are two important points to clarify about toll-free numbers before moving forward:
- When using a toll free number as a Caller ID, Phone.com will instead use a default number with a (973) area code when calls are made to other toll free numbers.
- Only U.S. Local numbers can have a Caller ID name.
First, let’s cover how to change your Caller ID number:
1. Start by going to “Configure” at the top of your page and then click on “Manage Users & Extensions.” From your extension listing, click the “Edit” box on the extension you intend to place calls from.
2. Scroll down on the next page to where it says “Outbound Calls.” In the “Caller ID to use” field, you can now select the number you want to use for outbound calls. When you have chosen your desired number, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select “Save Changes.”
3. Go to “Configure” at the top of your page and then click on “Manage Numbers.” From your number listing, click the “Edit” box next to the Phone.com number in which you want to modify the Caller ID name.
4. This will take you to the “Edit Number” page. In the “Caller ID Name” field, input your desired Caller ID name and then select either business or personal. When that is done, press “Save Changes.”
You have submitted your Caller ID to the National Caller ID Name Database. Most landline phone carriers subscribe to this database so when you call telephone numbers on their network, they do a lookup in the database to find your Caller ID name. Please note that this change can take up to thirty days to fully propagate.
That’s it for this week! Check out the video below for a walk through of what we covered today. Tune in next Monday and we will cover setting up a schedule!